Here is an easy recipe to do with the kids. Georgia and I make them all the time. The kids love the muffins and we usually serve them with some fresh fruit in the morning. Makes 12 muffins.
2 C spelt flour
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 C finely ground flaxseed
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
3/4 C skim milk
1/2 C plain (or vanilla) nonfat Greek yogurt
Optional add ins: 1/2 C each of: walnuts, raisins, blueberries, dark chocolate chips, etc.!
1. Preheat oven to 300 (spelt bakes more quickly than regular flour!).
2. In two large bowls, separately mix dry (flour, sugar, flax, cinnamon, baking powder/soda, salt) and wet (bananas, milk, yogurt, add-ins) ingredients.
3. Add wet ingredients to dry, stirring until mixed.
4. Spoon into a cooking-sprayed or nonstick muffin pan. Top each muffin with a sprinkle of raw oats so they look pretty
5. Pop them in the oven! At this point, your power will randomly go out. Awesome. Leave muffins in oven way longer hoping that the heat will last long enough to cook them – and voila!
Success! If anyone makes these, please let me know how long they actually need in the oven I’m guessing anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes! Obviously the power came back on like 5 minutes after they were done. Bust.